Whether you’re a consumer, grower, or retailer, the correct storage of CBD hemp seeds and flower is paramount to maintain their quality, potency, and longevity. This guide offers insights into ensuring both products stay fresh and retain their beneficial properties.
Storing CBD Hemp Seeds
CBD hemp seeds are living entities. When stored correctly, they can retain their viability for several years.
Temperature: Seeds should be stored in a cool environment, ideally between 32°F and 41°F (0°C and 5°C). Consider using a refrigerator designated solely for seed storage.
Moisture: A dry environment is crucial. Moisture can lead to premature germination or mold. Silica gel packets or rice can be added to containers to absorb excess moisture.
Light: Seeds should be stored in the dark, as light can degrade their quality.
Air: Vacuum-sealed containers can help remove air, which can oxidize and damage seeds.
– Glass Jars: Airtight glass containers can protect seeds from moisture and light.
– Mylar Bags: These can be sealed and protect against light, moisture, and pests.
Storing CBD Hemp Flower
Properly storing CBD hemp flower is essential to maintain its aroma, flavor, and potency.
Temperature: Like seeds, CBD hemp flowers should be stored in a cool environment. Extreme temperatures can degrade cannabinoids and terpenes.
Moisture: While the flower should be kept away from excessive moisture to avoid mold growth, it shouldn’t be overly dry, which can degrade the cannabinoids. A humidity control pack can help maintain an optimal range of around 55%-62% relative humidity.
Light: UV rays can break down cannabinoids. Store the flower in a dark place or opaque container.
Air: Minimize the flower’s exposure to air. Oxygen can degrade cannabinoids over time. However, airtight containers should be opened occasionally to let the flower “breathe.”
– Glass Jars: Mason jars or any airtight glass jars can keep the flower fresh while protecting it from external elements.
– Vacuum Sealed Bags: For longer storage, vacuum sealing can protect flower from oxygen exposure.
Avoiding Common Mistakes
– Avoid Plastic: Over time, static charge in plastic can attract trichomes from the flower, reducing its potency.
– No Freezers: Freezing can make trichomes brittle, leading to loss of potency.
Importance of Proper Storage
CBD hemp seeds can lead to a new generation of plants, and the flower is consumed for its therapeutic properties. Improper storage can not only lead to a loss of investment but can also result in a subpar product that doesn’t deliver the desired effects.
Storing CBD hemp seeds and flower requires mindfulness of temperature, moisture, light, and air. With proper storage techniques, you can maximize the lifespan and quality of both products, ensuring they deliver the best possible results.